Monday 15 January 2018

Ork Custom Battle Wagon

Why am I unhappy with the battlewagons? I think it stems from the fact the rightfully awesome model does not really reflect the rules. The biggest issue is that for an open topped assault vehicle, the front of it is fully closed in and lacking any efficient egress point. So what am I going to do about it? Bitch and moan?  Hell yeah! But I'm also going to build a bigger, better more battley-wagon of my own. With Blackjack. And hookers!

Well we'll see about the final two, but in principal I am going to convert up my own battle wagon. This first post is going to be picture dump of some awesome ideas that I am going to rip off, I mean be inspired by.



My current WIP battlewagons


This is defo a slow burn project at this point. This is a post that contains a few ideas as they coalesce. If anyone has spotted anything awesome then please give me a shout!


As an aside, if I have pinched your photo, but not accredited it correctly then please let me know and I will amend.



Inspiration


I want to draw on WW2 lander type ideas for the basic structure. With that in mind I started off with some mild googling and found some pretty good ideas.


User dustyfish over on imgur has come pretty damn close, but at a trukk scale. I want bigger...






I found something very close to what I was after. My only gripe with this is that it is a little on the long side. But the idea of carrying lighter vehicles struck a cord. Even more so was some sort of roll on roll off arrangement..




Assault ramp is essential



I then found this guy and cried a little. I think this unknown person has properly nailed what I was after. Compared with what I want to achieve, I think that this may be a bit too big, defo straying into the superheavy category with the large tower at the back...





Love the overhanging upper level
Between these three models alone I was nearly there, but I decided to expand my research and look at orky wagon and trukk conversions in general.

General Good Ideas What I Will Rob

First up are a few pics of stuff from Recalcitrant Daze, a blog that I have been following for a while and is simply rammed with awesome stuff. The detail that he packs onto the models is incredible. Definitely something to aspire to. The kopta carrier and weirdboy tower are two massive stand outs...




Crew is vital


Loving the teeth


Nuts






Turrets on turrets. Great idea.


All the detail


An in depth look at different bw ideas from over at the waagh has some really good content. Thoughts about modelling weapons, upgrades. Basically the lot!

































Design Features

After further pondering I have cooked up a list of what I want this Assault Wagon to be and do...


  • Big
  • Not too big
  • Mostly deck space for dudes
  • Big ramp at the front
  • Upper gantries
  • Control tower
  • Transport smaller vehicles as a roll on roll off type thing
  • Side doors and steps like the current battlewagon
  • Tower not at the back
  • Tracks at back are extended bw tracks



A fairly rough scale drawing next to a regular BW


Thats pretty much it for now. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. There is a lot of talented Meks out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All piccys for inspiration only of course. No idea robbing round these parts!

      Delete